Tuesday, August 28, 2007

1000 miles into Big Sky Country

Juliette and I ended our third week on a quick decent into Montana from Lolo Pass. We made it to Missoula the next day and took an over due rest day. We hit 1000 mile on our trip at a Dairy Queen in Lolo, Montana. We rewarded ourselves with the best tasting blizzard I have ever had.

Idaho is a beautiful state. The traffic on highway 95 was fast and close and we could smell roadkill every 10 miles. Things got much nicer on state route 12 was much nicer. We were expecting the worst there, but it ended up being one of the nicest roads so far. It followed the Lochsa River for miles and just snaked through the canyon. We camped on Wier Creek and took a dip in the hot springs. The hottest pool can reach 114 in the summer and was just what we needed to relax after a few days of climbing. We also found a nice spot along the Lochsa to swim/bathe/laundry (if you go in with your clothes on it's an all in one).

Missoula is a pretty nice little town. I think I see more bikes locked up around town here than in Eugene. We were greeted here with outstanding hospitality from Amalia. She put us up for the last two nights and showed us around town a little. Thank you so much!

So far the only real negative is the sunburn on my ears. I'm using SPF 50 and reapplying every couple of hours, but I still have blisters. I haven't had a sunburn this bad in years. According to my parents I never had freckles on my ears until the first time they blistered when I was about four. I've started tucking them under my hat. I feel like an idiot, but it seems to work.

You all should check out Juliette's blog too: jbealebiketour2007.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Meghan said...

It sounds like you two are having a great time...I'm jealous, I spend my days listening to people whine about taking care of their kids! I can't wait to see you in a couple weeks.