Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Good bye Oregon, hello Idaho!

So after two solid weeks in Oregon we finally crossed the Snake River and made it to Idaho on Sunday evening. We left Oregon how I always remember it, in the rain. We got dumped on for over an hour and later found it was a half inch of rain. My jacket sucks and I got soaked. Luckily it wasn't cold, the day cleared before sunset, and I dried out before dark. The smartwool shirts were warm even when wet.

Yesterday we took a rest day in Hells Canyon near the Brownlee Dam, before heading to Council, ID this morning. After two weeks of riding I think our bodies have settled into the day after day pace. The aches and pains are pretty much gone and I'm finally getting used to night after night on a thermarest. We stayed at our first hotel in Halfway, OR to get out of the smoke from a fire miles away and I tossed and turned all night on the bed!

The hospitality is still wonderful. We've had no problem getting directions, camping, or resturant advice. Juliette and I were huddled under a ramada at a park in Halfway to get out of the rain and eat some lunch. A woman driving by saw us there and invited us to use her guest trailer as long as we needed if we, "Don't smoke, drink, do drugs, or watch dirty movies." It was a nice gesture, but we didn't take her up on it because we wanted to finally get out of Oregon.

We've been seeing Jeremy, another coast to coast rider, every couple of days. It's kind of fun to guess where we'll see him next. Every now and then we'll stop in to some small store or cafe and they'll tell us, "that other biker was just through here." I wonder which of us will get to the Atlantic first.

No comments: